Facts of Public Transport in US :
- Each year, public transportation use in the U.S. saves 1.4 billion gallons of gasoline. This represents almost 4 million gallons of gasoline per day.
- The “leverage effect” of public transportation, supporting transportation efficient land use patterns, saves 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline – more than three times the amount of gasoline refined from the oil we import from Kuwait.
- Each year, public transportation use saves the equivalent of 34 supertankers of oil, or a supertanker leaving the Middle East every 11 days.
- Each year, public transportation use save the equivalent of 140,769 service station tanker truck trips clogging our streets each year.
- Public transportation use saves the equivalent of 300,000 fewer automobile fill-ups every day.
- The typical public transit rider consumes on average one half of the oil consumed by an automobile rider.